Saturday, October 31, 2009

India: Leopard strays into Jammu area

Friday, October 30, 2009

Mohit Kandhari | Jammu

Panic gripped Doordarshan lane in Janipur area of Jammu late on Thursday evening after several residents spotted a healthy leopard moving freely in their vicinity ‘fearlessly’.

The animal strayed inside the civilian area from the nearby jungles.

Reports of man-animal conflict in frontier districts of Rajouri and Poonch are quite common but this is the first such incident of its kind in Jammu city.

According to eyewitness reports, “the first sighting of a leopard in a thickly populated civilian area was reported around 7.20-7.30 pm”.

Alert residents immediately raised an alarm and also informed the police control room for help.

Without wasting any time and waiting for the help from the Wildlife department, several local residents armed with sticks and iron rods swung into action and chased away the leopard using search lights as well.

They were assisted by the policemen posted on guard duty in the Doordarshan office.

Harpreet Singh,who was one among those who spotted the leopard inside his lawn said, “I was sitting inside my room when I first heard a loud noise in the street outside my residence.

“As I stepped out of the room I spotted a leopard moving in front of the gate of my house. After moving around for some time, the leopard jumped the wall and entered inside the house of my neighbour Vini Sharma”,Singh said describing his ordeal.

Vini Sharma, an assistant director in the directorate of economics and statistics had a close shave. “It was a close shave for me, I was barely meters away from the leopard when it passed by, she said in panic.

http://www.dailypioneer.com/212314/Leopard-strays-into-Jammu-area.html

----------------

Learn more about big cats and Big Cat Rescue at http://www.bigcatrescue.org

No comments: